The IBM Security Identity Governance and Intelligence (ISIGI) Identity Broker has an administrative password which appears to be stored in two different places and which sometimes get out of sync. I don’t know all the details as to what is going on under the covers but there are two ways where I have seen the problem manifest itself:
- I received this error message: “An error occurred during import” when attempting to import an adapter profile.
- I had this error when I attempted to save an adapter configuration: “An authentication error occurred. The Identity Brokerage password for the virtual appliance is out of sync. Use the command-line interface to reset the Identity Brokerage password. Then, restart the Security Identity Governance and Intelligence server.“
The solution is to use the command line of the virtual appliance to reset the Identity Brokerage administrative password. As it states in the ISIGI installation manual:
Use the ib_password_reset command to reset the Identity Brokerage administrative password on the virtual appliance.
To reset the password, complete these steps:
- From the command-line interface, log on to the IBM Security Identity Governance and Intelligence virtual appliance.
- Enter the igi command at the <hostname> prompt.
- Enter the utilities command at the <hostname>:igi prompt.
- Enter the ib_settings command at the <hostname>:utilities prompt.
- Enter the ib_password_reset command at the <hostname>:ib_settings prompt.
- Enter YES to confirm the reset request.
- Restart the IBM Security Identity Governance and Intelligence server (by typing reboot).
When I ran through this procedure it looked like this:
login as: admin email@example.com's password: Last login: Tue Nov 28 11:27:25 2017 from 192.168.42.1 Welcome to the IBM Security Identity Governance and Intelligence appliance Enter "help" for a list of available commands igi523.demo.com> igi igi523.demo.com:igi> utilities igi523.demo.com:utilities> ib_settings igi523.demo.com:ib_settings> ib_password_reset Enter 'YES' to confirm: YES Resetting IB password.. Password reset successful. igi523.demo.com:ib_settings> reboot Enter 'YES' to confirm: YES igi523.demo.com:ib_settings>